Authentication Methods and Protocols
Commercial authentication systems
READING BEFORE TUTORIAL
- Dent, 2004 – Chapters 4, 6 and 7
- Pressman, 2006 – Chapter 1
- Viardot, 2004 – Chapter 1
- Which type of cryptography does not require a key?
- How does the problem of secure key exchange connect symmetric cryptography to asymmetric cryptography?
- Why do password authentication systems use hashing functions instead of symmetric cryptography or asymmetric cryptography?
- What additional benefit does message authentication codes (MAC) provide over a dedicated hash function?
- What are the purposes of using patents?
- What is a trademark?
- What is a copyright?
- What are the advantages and risks with protecting intellectual property as trade secrets?
- Provide examples of security technology businesses that takes a:
- Product centred sales approach
- Customer centred sales approach
- Service centred sales approach
- The information security market could be broadly categorised as companies that provide data confidentiality, data integrity and/or data availability. What are some specific commercial examples for each category?