Authentication Methods and Protocols
Advanced authentication methods
READING BEFORE TUTORIAL
- What is the difference between random sequences and pseudo-random sequences?
- Which methods could be used to produce random sequences and pseudo-random sequences?
- Why is randomness important to authentication and encryption?
- What is involved in the use of steganography?
- What are the similarities and differences between steganography and cryptography?
- Provide examples of steganography that uses these techniques:
- Injection – The plain text is embedded directly into a cover object.
- Substitution – Content of a cover object is selectively replaced with the plain text.
- Creation – No cover object is used. A purpose built single-use stego object is created for a specific plain text.
- What is the relationship between steganography and watermarking?
- What is the primary concept behind completely automated public Turing test to tell computers and humans apart (CAPTCHA)?
- Is a CAPTCHA a form of authentication? Why?
- What are the effects on authentication, security and privacy due to globalisation, outsourcing, software as a service and smaller electronic devices?
- Why is authentication important for commercial communications, transactions, brands and communities?