Group Design Project
Concepts of quality
The concept of design fidelity
summarize the critical attributes of a product design.
Design is measured according to its fitness for purpose
Image copyright Segway Inc.
- Skill level
Conflict about purpose is often the primary cause of failed products.
Design is measured according to its fitness for standards
Image copyright Princeton Digital Corp.
- Based on inspection and measurement
- Six Sigma Quality
- ISO 9001:2000
Measurement of quality
is dependent on the purpose
Image copyright Acer Inc.
Design is measured according to its fitness for market
Image copyright Sony Corp.
- Satisfy user needs
- Industry structure and organizations
- Comparative cost
- Satisfy latent needs
Machines and processes may collect quality indicators or implement quality procedures, but people define and evaluate quality.
How do people identify quality
- Are people consistent?
- Are people predictable?
- Are people political?
- Are people independent?
Design is the source of quality
Image copyright Dalsa Corp.
Product design must factor an increasing number of requirements (concurrent engineering
- Use standard commercially available components
- Use common parts where possible
- Design for ease of component fabrication
- Design components with tolerances that are within process capability
- Minimise the costs of transportation and delivery
- Design for ease of packaging
- Design the product to be foolproof during assembly and installation
- Minimise flexible components
- Minimise adjustments/calibrations during installations and upgrades
- Design for disposability at the end of product life cycle
Cost is a key factor in product design
Source: Gallien, J. (2002). Lecture for 15.760B course. MIT.