WAN and VLAN Solutions
A medical charity has received a grant to build a new site that will act as their headquarters and a research facility for contagious diseases. The new 2 floor facility needs to accommodate approximately 20 research staff
, 60 non-research staff
and 30 servers
. There are a total of approximately 40
research staff, but, they rotate
between field work (out of the office) and analysis (in the office).
The ground floor will contain offices and labs for onsite researchers, who need access to servers that store their research
as well as access to computational servers for analytical software
The ground floor will also contain 2 classrooms
for training new employees and volunteers.
The ground floor data center will house:
- 26 servers to store the medical research data and perform data analysis
- 2 servers to operate the charity's website, which includes online payment processing for donations
- 2 servers to store the accounting and human resources software and data
The first floor will contain offices for administration, fundraising and support staff
, who need standard web and office applications.
The first floor will also contain 2 conference rooms
You have been asked to design and implement
a new network infrastructure that delivers the following objectives:
- Priority usage for the research staff conducting analysis
- Secure access to the accounting and human resources servers
- Internet access to the staff and the web servers
- Flexibility and scalability to handle potential variations in the number of research staff who work in the field